ATHLETIC GLOSSOLALIA

Patrick Mahomes of Tyler and, most recently, the Kansas City Chiefs.


Patrick Mahomes is from Tyler.

I learned that last night because I don't follow football (as outlined in my last post), and I had to see what all the fuss was about this young man.

Not only is Mahomes from Tyler, he attended Whitehouse ISD back when I was a special education teacher's aide briefly. I had been a WISD substitute before that. Mahomes would have been in elementary school during that time. It occurred to me that he might have passed through one of my classrooms. It was a while ago, though and I don't remember the names, but I do remember the hugs.

In between my media gigs, I subbed for a lot if different school districts. Teaching was going to be my fallback career for awhile. But back to Mahomes.

He's from East Texas. Seems like a nice person. I'll put him in the category of athletes I might like.

Anyway, I watched the commercials during the Super Bowl. My husband, Frank, watched the games. I didn't. Football bores me to tears. I'm usually in the kitchen when a game is on because the sound of the game on TV makes me sleepy and hungry. I love to cook with the sound of a football game on TV. I didn't cook last night though.

Frank, however, was rooting for the Kansas City Chiefs. And every time they did whatever players do on that field, Frank launched into a litany of noises I rarely hear him make. At one point, I thought he had Tourette's or had become Pentecostal.

The cats got excited as a result. The dogs were just waiting for him to drop something from his plate.

Anyway, I don't follow sports. Don't particularly like athletes. Certainly don't like football culture. But I kind of like this Patrick Mahomes. Seems like a nice guy. Hope I'm right. He's from East Texas. I hope he always represents well.

As for Frank...well, the cats and I were certainly entertained.

Comments

Popular Posts